Saturday, August 4, 2007

Doc Reilly Memorial Road Race


Saturday saw 3 Big Horn Velo riders in action at the Doc Reilly Memorial Road Race
Brian Klotz, Tim Carlson and myself. Also there and thinking of joining our team in the women's division was Michelle Beyler. Working the feed zone for us was Vanessa McCaffery. Vanessa is also expressing an interest in racing with us next season. Any and all women or men are always welcome to join us.

We did the 2 hour 15 minute ride in our trusty team van and arrived early enough to preride the course. The elevation profile was not lying. Not the hardest race we have done but challenging. The course was 17.6 miles. Tim and I elected to do two loops, hard man Brian would do three and race against Doug Carlson.

We got there and were directed were to park by guys in leather jackets turned out they were bikers for Jesus. Tim had a run in with one who was pacing our race when Tim wanted to go faster then the biker and the biker said he couldn't do that. Guess you are not suppose to be faster then a fat Christian on a hog. We even registered in the bar (very cool) There were 31 in my group and the course and the course immediately went up hill. I was smart and had installed my wheel with the 13-29 cassette for this race. I hung on till the top of the first hill this included the 15% climb ouch. I mad my normal mistake of not warming up enough and I was too far back in the lead back. A little gap and the pack is gone never to seen again. I feel like quitting but I settle down and ride my race. I eventually chased down two guys who also were spit off and convince them to work with me. One was Glenn a Clydesdale who reminded me of Mark Hogan and a skinny guy John from Albany who was doing his first race. We had made fun of a car with a Lemond bike on it's bike as not be a great race bike on the way up. Chasing John on his Lemond came back to haunt me.

Eventually my group caught the next three guys down the road, two guys with Maxpower Jerseys. For some reason I take delight in passing those guys. John immediately wanted to pass these guys. I held him back and we sat in on the rolling hills back to the start finish line. Did I mention. Nice 15mph head wind through out the course. Ouch. We go through the feed zone and I get a bottle from Vanessa and another bottle of water from the volunteers. This was the first race that I have done that gave neutral water, very cool. I do the pro move and dump the entire liter of water over my head. Out of the feed zone and time for the climb. I can't hold John back he attacks, I follow. The 15% climb hurts for me but more for John who is climbing in a 12-25. I love my 13-29! We drop our little group of 4. Continue climbing and we finally make the top both of us working together in the wind. Time for a wicked downhill. I make my move I know I can descend faster then John. My max speed was 50.2 mph. At the bottom I look back I have a nice 15 second gap. Back to the rollers and nasty headwind. John dips into his suitcase of courage and tries to catch my wheel. I stand and attack when I can. He's catching me. Wow! I go again and take back his gain. He charges again. This guy is relentless and the wind is killing me. Ok race smart Bobby. I let him catch with a mile to go. I am ready to attack and crush him. John is spent. "What's the etiquette in a situation like this he asks. I know you can beat me in the sprint." I smile and look back there is no one behind us. We finish together I say. We cross the line same time. Great race!

I ended up 17th out of 31. Tim Carlson was up the road from me and finished 5th. Nice job Tim. One of the finishers came up to me and thought I was Tim and started complaining how many attacks I made. I smiled and told him Tim's nickname is Vino. Vino always attacks. Tim got $10 for the effort and even shard the take with me. Now that is classy! Doug Carlson was 6th in his race. Brian had a bad day. Think he was dehydrated from the hot week. He isn't listed in the finish results but I think he finished 19th about 12 minutes behind the leaders. Michele kicked major butt and won the women's race against 5 other riders. Her finish time puts her only about 3 minutes behind me. I got to draft I think she was out front her entire race. Wow! Great job Michele. Here are the full results http://www.bikereg.com/Results/2007/08/04-Doc-Reilly-Memorial-Road-Race.asp

Next race is the Mansfield crashterium, I did not misspell the word! Michele is going to Albany to race and Tim Carlson will be in action at Little Falls

No comments: